Information Your Attorney Will Obtain
- Accident reconstructionist reports as well as other accident reports. Your Orange County DUI attorney should consult an accident reconstructionist whenever defending serious cases involving major accidents. By obtaining accident reports of other accidents at the same location, your attorney may be able to show that the roadway, rather than your driving, was instrumental to the accident.
- Prior police reports made by the arresting police officer. Because some police officers often write the same observations in the drunk driving arrest report they prepare for every defendant they have arrested, their credibility is diminished. Even if this does not hold true for the arresting office in your case, your Orange County DUI defense lawyer can learn much by examining other police reports the officer has made. For instance, perhaps the officer usually asks a suspect how long he or she slept the night before, but failed to do so in your case. Your attorney can point out that the officer clearly thinks this information is important, but failed to obtain it in your case. Perhaps if the officer was aware that you had only four hours of sleep, he or she would have taken a different view of your performance of the field sobriety test.
- All exculpatory evidence.
- Your criminal history, or “rap sheet,” as well as the criminal histories of any witnesses.
- Your driving record. In order to be able to advise you of the consequences of a possible plea bargain, your Orange County DUI attorney needs to know your driving history. Being convicted, even if it is for a lesser charge, may result in an accumulation of driving points that can result in having your license suspended. Your attorney therefore will need to keep in mind your point count situation during any plea discussions. By giving some other concession, your attorney may be able to secure an offense that carries no point count with it.
If you would like to discuss your DUI case with a DUI defense attorney in Orange County, please call Coffey and Coffey at 800-706-7888.